M Farmall and a 12 year old boy

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #3346 by bwest
my 12 year old boy decided he needed a tractor. more accurate would be to say the tractor decided it needed a 12 year old boy.

cole and i delivered three plows to my uncle who lives just south of nashville, tn. while there we were looking at his collection of crawlers (2 jd lindimans, 1 ih t20, 1 moline, 1 oliver, & 1 jd 40c) and some of his other unusual machines (farmall mv, silver king model 40 and 60 (i think), jd l, jd m pulling tractor and so on). sufice to say we had lots to look at and much to discuss. but one tractor stuck out in cole's mind, a 1947 m farmall in original condition. i really didn't take notice though when my uncle said he had purchased it on an estate sale and was wanting to sell it. he stated that he had been asking one price but was now wanting 33% less just to get it moved. he was not trying to sell it to us, it was just part of the conversation.

we said our goodbyes to my aunt and uncle and proceeded back north with our empty trailer. cole said "dad, what do you think about that m?" i said "well..... i don't know it's an old m." a few more miles went by and cole said "i think i'm interested in that m" "really!" i said. he has always been interested in tractors, he just can't help it. he was just days old when he attended his first show up at the mall in effingham. and of course we live right accross the road from prairie days. but i never thought about him wanting a tractor this early. you see, he mows grass in the summer for money (has for a couple of years now). so he has his own money. his mother and i talked it over and we decided to let him have the tractor. he will turn 13 in march so this is kind of a birthday present i guess.

we drove down and got it last weekend and started the next day on the repairs it needs. first things are: carb kit, water pump, steering shaft and related repair. this thing is really in pretty good shape. it still has the 6 volt system, it is an all fuel and has the original all fuel carb on it. all the major things are in good conditon. it could use rear tires (weather cracks) but that will wait, it needs new fronts (pretty bad)] but that too will wait till fall when he will have a replenished bank account.

so i guess this tractor really found a boy. what do you think?

i'll post pictures when i get them downloaded.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1359 by John G
i think that's great, looking forward to pix.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1361 by
i bet they will be plowing this summer.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1362 by bwest
oh yea!! he's wanting to go on a tractor drive and i reminded him about needing to have a driver's license. he says "oh yea, i never thought about that".

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1373 by bwest
more news on my boys tractor. i noticed the shaft in the front pedistal was loose. when i pulled it out to see if we could build it up and put new bushings in it i found that the casting has broken. has anyone ever seen this happen?
i will try to post some pictures here pretty soon.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1375 by
we*ve got some if you want to change it.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1376 by bwest
steve, i forgot to say i happened to have a parted m with the front pedistal already out of it. i never in a million years thought anyone would need it much less me (or in this case, my boy). i've just never seen this happen before on such a large piece of casting unless it just hits something hard enough to break things completly loose.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1378 by
maybe a loading accident sometime. that just shows you never get rid of anything. <!-- s:) -->http://www.grandpastractor.com.php53-25.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/images/icon_smile.gif" alt=":)" title="smile<!-- s:) -->

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1379 by bwest
here's a few picture for you guys. the first one is of the proud owner on the tractor after it was loaded.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt351/bryanwest/100_2838.jpg

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1380 by shea
nice looking tractor!, i am sure he will learn a lot from it. what is the frame hanging down under the back for?

johnny

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1383 by bwest
that is some sort of cultivator attachment hardware. it also had a bracket on the front up on the grille and down on those two bolt holes on the steering pedistal. i think the cultivator is probably a contributing factor in the crack in the front end.

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1391 by bwest
here are some more pictures for your enjoyment.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt351/bryanwest/100_2847.jpg

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1448 by bwest
update on this project.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt351/bryanwest/100_2903.jpg

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1453 by KY PLOW
looks like the project is moving right along, keep comin with the updates....matt

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1463 by bwest
well, the m project will be on the back burner for a wile. i currently have a school bus in my shop with the engine out of it. then i need to get the carburetor back on a wd allis that i have for sale.

you know i don't think the old adage about bringing your work home was ever meant for a mechanic. but i had to on this one to save the district money on this bus.

Time to create page: 0.971 seconds